Monday 9 April 2007

The idea and the dream: Cognitive Science

Hello world! I am almost 27 and want to return to school. Why? Well, I just think there are certain areas that I want to get deeper into. I do not have a degree, because a few years ago I prefered to go my way and do business. I worked hard for the last 4 years and now I am owner of two internet-related companies. In the meantime I worked for an american company and travelled around the globe.

I studied a few semesters Sociology in Argentina and decided to move my world to Europe. I went to Germany with the idea of continuing high-level education. I took a while, though. I had to learn German, pass the exams, etc. Then I quit the academia. Basically because I couldn't get into Sociology. Shame myself. My concentration was on something else and the burocratic-life of the university did not allow a change.

But now I have a much clear idea of what I wanna do. Business is fine. It just does not fullfil my intellectual side.

For the last 3 years I have had a dream: apply and study at the MIT. I have a great admiration for the Media Lab. The first time was when I was reading a book by Nicholas Negroponte, back in 1998. Everysince then I think about it. In 2004 I nearly completed the application form. It was just a crazy idea because I had more important issues to solve, such as getting the German citizenship.

Now I have come to a conclusion and I want to pursue the dream, make it happen. My interest is not broad, it is trully interdisciplinary. I enjoy reading about Philosophy, Psychology.... how does the mind work? Why we learn the way we learn? I enjoy reading about Design, Information. How do we understand , use and behave with information? I work and organize conferences about Search Engines. How do machines understand information? How do they index, categorize, analyse, retrieve relevant answers? How do people see the results? Do they trust them?

I consider myself an information architect. I help organizing the European Information Architecture Summit. Peter Morville and his book "Ambient Findabilty" is "my light" at the end of the tunnel. How do we find our way in the real world? How can we improve the "findability" of objects in the off- and on-line world?

I love the work of Donald Norman. He is a Cognitive scientist.

And here I am: blogging about the road towards my dream: I want to study Cognitive Science. I hope this blog will help me organize the project.

No comments: